Thursday, June 3, 2010

Why Do You Run?




It's a tough question really.

One that for me is constantly changing. While I started running to lose weight and get healthy, I've lately noticed that my running is for a few different reasons.


One, obviously, is to maintain my weight. Without my weekly miles, I would have probably put 10 lbs back on. Speaking of, can someone please tell me to just stop stuffing my face? It's not a daily basis, but every few days I find myself overeating by at least 500 calories. NOT GOOD!

Another reason, and I have just noticed this, is for my mental well being. If I miss a run, I get antsy. If I'm having a tough day, I really want to lace up my shoes and run right out the door. I mentioned this to my husband the other day and he said he had noticed it himself. He said, "It's like if we were in a larger city somewhere, and a group of runners jetted through a crosswalk, you would just hop out of the truck and join them. I fully expect that to happen at some point, like a Nike commercial or something." I laughed. So funny. So true!


Why do you run?



Is it so you can eat this and not worry too much?

So you can drink this and only suffer a hangover instead of weight gain?



Is it so you don't do this?


Whatever it is. I hope it keeps you doing what you're doing.



P.S. Giveaway ends tomorrow at midnight.

P.P.S. Am in love with this healthy living blog. This chick is awesome. Why do Canadians have to be so cool?
P.P.P.S. Nike? Call me. I know that commercial idea is genius. Mom in minivan...looking like a gazelle, all twitchy and just bolting out the door to join herd of runners. Leaving Dad and kids with mouths hanging open.

4 comments:

  1. My problem is munchies.Late night ones..... I do so good other wise! I don't keep junk in the house but I sure find a way to make it just WRONG!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you get that picture of me pulling my hair out, lol! I totally run for stress relief! But, I also run because that is what all of my friends do and I want to be part of the cool group : )

    (oh and if I don't run, I really can't write a running blog now can I...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just found your blog this morning. I'm off to run my very first 5K in about an hour. I dont think I'll be anywhere near your time though. :-)

    I run because it feels like thats what I'm meant to do. My body is happiest when its running.

    Oh, and I have to say that Hey Ya is an awesome running song!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, that picture of the chick pulling her hair out pretty much describes my reasoning.

    It's funny that you titled this "Why do you run?" I had a little boy ask me that shortly after I got into it 26 years ago, and when I'm really having to struggle on a run, I'll think back to that kid and try to figure out that same question---it does seem to make the miles go by faster!

    ReplyDelete